Friday, August 01, 2014

It's Looking Decidedly Damp

I'm all packed just need to hop in the van later and set sail for the north for tomorrow's Borrowdale fell swim - er, I mean fell race. Have you seen the forecast? It looks grimmer than the reaper himself. I don't know whether to wear my shorts or a pair of swimming trunks. At least it doesn't look like it's going to be cold, so that's a silver lining.

To the race itself, I've worked out some splits. How accurate they'll be is anyone's guess. Starting from the premise that I don't really know how fit or otherwise I am at the moment, I've picked a 4 hour 10 minute target - where the hell did I get that from? No, I don't know either. Anyway, that's the target. Trying to work that into splits is even more random considering the terrain. So for the record, here they are;

Bessy Boot 00:45
Esk Hause 1:30 (0:45)
Scafell Pike 2:00 (0:30)
Styhead 2:20 (0:20)
Clark Gable 2:50 (0:30)
Honister Pass 3:15 (0:25)
Dalehead 3:45 (0:30)
Finish 4:10 (0:25)

I've got my maps printed and have a feeling I might be needing them. It's going to be low visibility so it'll be a good test of navigation. I've run bits of the route before. Bessy Boot to Esk Hause will be new to me as will be Honister to Dalehead and down. It's only 17 miles with 6,500 feet over some of the best rugged bits the Lakes have to offer. Should be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment