Friday, October 11, 2013

The Source Of The Usk

Yes, we located the very source of the river Usk. I suggested we play Pooh sticks and see whose stick would arrive in Newport first. Neil put a stop to that nonsense.

Anyway, we set off in reasonable conditions. It was exactly sunny but the tops where clear and it wasn't too cold - at least, not with three layers on. We started from the A4067 and headed over the unnamed summit, swam the river Tawe and followed the Nant y Llyn up to Fan Brycheiniog and Fan Foel. Then we dropped off the top heading north west to our target of a small stone circle marked on the map before turning back towards home. Next up was the said pilgrimage to the source of the Usk before winding our way back towards and over the unnamed summit and the car.

I've never run the open expanse north of Fan Foel before. I was somehow expecting it to be rough going but it wasn't. It wasn't a bowling green but it was perfectly traversable. There were lots of little sheep trods to pick up and scenic views. I see no reason why I won't add that area to my list of places to run.

By the time we got back to the car, the forecast weather had arrived. The cloud layer, lowering by the minute. The last thirty minutes were spent in the drizzle and the tops where shrouded in cloud. Good job we got there early. Just about timed in right.

In all we covered 19km and 2,500ft of ascent. We didn't hurry. We had no need to. We took our time studying our maps and picking our lines - I picked mine and made it bleed. Yet despite the leisurely pace I still feel quite tired now, as I sit here typing...









No comments:

Post a Comment