Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day Eight

And a Parkrun. I managed to raise from the pit in time to head to the Forest of Dean Parkrun. I decided to race it properly and finish today's training with a recovery bike session afterwards rather than an extended looping run - I knew there was little hope of not falling short on one of the loops and calling it a day with too few miles clocked. A long run is fine. By the time you're in the middle of nowhere you have no choice but to run many miles back. A looper doesn't give you that comfort - and I am weak...

Anyway, I found the 5k Parkrun pretty tough. I was certain I would take a course PB - on account that my current record is bloody rubbish. I set off towards the front and went out hard. I don't think I overcooked things as I managed to take 5th place at about half way and I was catching 3rd and 4th all the way to the end but didn't quite get there. Despite indeed claiming a course best I was a little disappointed with how little I improved it. I was expecting to improve by more than a miserly 25 seconds. In mitigation it was a wee bit slippery out there and playing dodge the new tree growth didn't exactly help but I can't say that would account for more than a couple of seconds here or there. More training required me thinks...

Overall it's been a good week on the training front. I managed to complete most of the plan with only the odd tweak here and there. Hopefully I can muster for a second pair of hill and speed sessions next week and then build the momentum onwards and upwards from there. Need to work out the best way to get a long run in tomorrow though, without straying too far from home - but without too many loops...

No comments:

Post a Comment