Saturday, February 11, 2012

Odd Place...


..for a trig point! I stumbled across this one while out on my run in the forest this morning. When I say stumbled, I don't mean I actually 'stumbled', it was more surprise at what the hell a trig point was doing in the middle of a fairly dense area of forest. I guess the forest will have grown up around it but having said that, it wasn't really on any specific defining location either. It certainly wasn't a local high spot. Odd.

Back to the running, it has to be said it was a disappointment - and it all started off so well. I waited until the temperature had risen above zero, donned my kit and headed out towards the heart of the forest. It was lovely running conditions out there. The thaw just enough to ease away most of the icy bits while giving a crisp, crunch on the snow to give good grip. I got all the way over and past Cinderford only for it to all take a turn for the worse...

Someone had only gone and organised a god damn rally through the middle of my long run route! Huge sections of the forest were out of bounds. After trying to make the best of it, meandering around the limited sections I had access to I decided to call it a day and headed home. So in the end, it turned out not to be the long run I was intending but for the most part it was a really nice run in the not so bleak, not so middle, mid-winter. In all I clocked up a lowly 25.5k with an almost flat 1,600 feet of ascent. Going to have to re-group for another longish run tomorrow. I might head over to the Malverns for a combo medium hill session out and back to the beacon. Going to finish off today with an hour on the bike just to make it feel like I've actually done some training.

Today's not so long, long run..

May Hill in the far distance...

Into the frozen forest...

No comments:

Post a Comment