Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How Slow Was That?

No really, how slow was that? It was so cold out there tonight that I wore my mittens and couldn't operate my watch. I have no idea of quite how poorly I performed - although I know it's right up there with my worst. I'll be on tenterhooks until the results come out - or maybe not.

I started off at the back of the field. Not quite last but not far off. I took things very easy in the first half of the race. These days my stride length is tiny - like other things on a night as cold as tonight, fnah fnah. I focused on form and tried to stride out. That worked to some degree and it felt pretty good not to shuffle along. From half way I began to push things a little - but not too much, didn't want to get carried away. I ran the incline well and actively put in the effort. From there I eased along while still focusing on striding out.

As I enter the final 500m I moved past a group of three of four runners with a concerted effort and started to feel a little sick with increase in effort, tilting towards towards max - not been there for a while. I lifted off the accelerator in the last 100m - well, there's no point flogging a dead horse, is there?

I hope I ran close to 20 minutes but I can't help but think I was a little adrift of that and I'd like to use the excuse that my quads were still feeling sore - which they really were, so I will use that excuse...

No comments:

Post a Comment