Monday, December 12, 2011

Orange And Coconut Cookies

OMG. I have just made the most delicious batch of Orange and Coconut Cookies - in the world - ever! Normally I consider that my cooking is passable at best. Let's face it, I'm never going to get on Master Chef but OMG these cookies are unbelievable - even if I say so myself. So light and so damn tasty. Somewhere between a biscuit and a macaroon. Either way, I am in a state of shock because these bad boys really are bloody lush. Well exceeding expectation for my first foray into the world of biscuit baking.

I found the recipe on 'tinternt. Martin, from work, suggested I try using a fresh coconut instead of the dessicated stuff - which I did, although I did relent a bit and went fifty fifty in the end - but hell, it was hard work getting the coconut out of a coconut - queue the mallet after baking in the oven for ten minutes. That was quite satisfying. And the grating... oh, don't mention the arm aching grating. Damn hard work but the result was worth it. Then in with a few standard ingredients and the grated rind of one orange - more damn grating before a final frenzied mixing - all by hand, none of that electric mixer bollocks here, I thank you - although there might be next time...

Finally it was time to shape the mix into little cookies on the baking sheet and into the oven for 11 minutes and 23 seconds - got to get those timings right. Then finally onto the wire rack to cool. Job done. Gorgeous.

An hour on the exercise bike after work was all I could muster - well, you weren't expecting me to go out in this bloody weather did you?


No comments:

Post a Comment