Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Good Training, Slow Race

Well, here's the report, a day late, of my latest Bridge Inn race. Now before I start, let me state for the record, I didn't take it too seriously. In fact, I didn't take it seriously at all. My right calf was feeling slightly sore and I'm not into injurying myself for no gain. That said it was a decent training run. Slow, yes, but good training all the same.

I set off towards the back. Not exactly last but pretty near it. My plan was to increase the effort on each kilometre to finish fast and strong. I didn't record my lap splits but I definitely felt the increase of effort as I hit the marks. I can honestly say I was hardly moving in the first km, almost jogging but not quite that slow. The second up and over the foot bridge felt good as I eased past runner after runner. The third was run in an equally easy fashion but I started to crank things up a notch especially on the gentle incline upwards. There I began to put in some effort. Down over to the fourth kilometre marker I picked off a few more but with larger gaps I was needing to increase the pace ever upwards. As I entered the final kilometre I wasn't holding back too much and as I climbed out from the final road crossing underpass I really started to kick. With the Bridge coming into sight I was up towards max and as I hit the final 100m I fired up the afterburners and sprinted full on across the line.

It was my slowest race for years but as training it felt pretty good. It was so nice to really stretch out in the final couple of kilometres. It almost makes me want to go run a few speed sessions - damn, did I say that out loud? Honestly though, I have a few stirrings... I think it's time I looked my out a Chepstow Tuesday Night training session... noooooo, say it isn't so. Make these feelings go away...

No comments:

Post a Comment