Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Usual Suspects

at the Waun Fach fell race. The seven mile race up to Waun Fach, around a bit and then back down at break neck speed is a good bash. I wasn't anywhere near top form - mostly on account of last weeks races still in my legs. Despite that I was hoping to better last years time but alas, it was not to be. I was focused. Splits from last year memorised. Gentle warm complete and off...

The first climb found me wanting. I was a minute down on the split despite really trying. The legs just didn't have it. The run aross to Waun Fach was better - but stil not good. I tried with every step but couldn't sustain the quality - or the pace. From Waun Fach I faired better - the route starts to head downwards from there. The final couple of miles bore witness to the best part of my race. The fast and somewhat rocky descent to finish. Throwing caution to the wind I legged it as fast my legs would carry me and gained three places to finish in a time of 1 hour, 1 minute and 50 seconds. That was a minute slower than last year and only good enough for 15th place - but my split for the descent was a little quicker than last year. Not all bad then.

Going to take it easy tomorrow and on Monday's day off work I'll be off to recce the Brecon Beacons race. I've raced it three times before but only ever in the clockwise direction. This years race should go anti-clockwise so I reckon its worth giving it a go that way around. Should be a pleasant enough twenty miles...

No comments:

Post a Comment