Sunday, June 07, 2009

Well chase my steeples

The drive over to Rugby was pleasant enough. I went the A46 route and got there in and hour and forty five. The weather held - although driving back, I came through some really heavy rain so I hope that doesn't make the travel to Rugby before the last events have finished.

Sean was up for his first every 3k steeple chase - he's run a number of 1.5k and 2k - and like the thoroughbred he is, he coped well with the extra distance - although he did moan like stink afterwards. He came home second in the A-string event.

As to my race, as soon as the race got underway, I knew my legs were bad. All thoughts of a PB disappeared - and my PB is rubbish. No, after a few metres thought turned to just finishing.

I was runnning shoulder to shoulder with another chap over the first couple of laps. He edged away slightly before I made up the gap and decided to make a push on the third lap, to see if I could get away. My push wasn't much of a push but I did speed slightly. I was puffing like a bastard but I managed to get 5 metres which over the course of the fourth lap became ten. Then I settled and got round safely for 2nd place in the B-string - which sounds far grander that it actually was, since there was only three of us in the race. But you have to be in it to win it and the history books record it as a 2nd place and it all scores good points for the team.

I was going to have a go at the pole vault as well, as our second vaulter had called off, but Martin 'you da the man' Davies had only brought his stiff pole - ooh err, stop it - and after a few practice attempts I soon realised it was too stiff for me to handle!

Right, I'm off to let the legs recuperate...

No comments:

Post a Comment