Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Supergrass

No Sean tonight - that's the first time in a long while that he's not been to the track on a Wednesday. I await his sick note next week. Rob and Nick were back again. As was Rick, Bruce and Mike - that's Bruce's dad to you.

There was a young athletes open meeting going on at the track tonight which meant we were relegated to the grass of Hengrove Park - although there isn't much of that left, what with the new hospital and business park being built (damn those Councilor's and their small brown envelope's, nudge nudge, wink wink, wouldn't have happened in my day - don't get me started).

Anyway, we marked out a rectangle that we estimated to be about 300 metres. Maybe - read probably - a little less. Then we ran some reps. Twelve in all but the first was a feeler for the rest. Recovery was somewhere around 45 seconds with a jogged lap after reps six and ten. I ran the first in 55s and the rest were 52's with the odd 51 and 53.

It's always harder on the grass but for the first time in ages I felt good. That's not to say it was easy. After the first couple it became hard work and although I was sucking - careful - the air in the last hundred of each rep my breathing didn't feel as laboured as it has been over the last few weeks. And this weeks shorter recovery was enough to actually get recovered.

I feel lifted. The feeling of being able to push on the final straight. To keep the focus to the end. Simply, brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment