Sunday, September 16, 2007

Clevetastic

OK, so perhaps not Clevetastic but certainly Cleve-pretty-good. As you might have guessed I had a good run out on leg 3 (of 5) of the Clevedon Road Relays. I was 27s slower than last year but I've been focused on slower pace long distance work for the last few months and whenever you do that you expect to lose some speed over the shorter distance. Even so it was my fastest 5k for about 6 months so I'm pleased to have run so quick - and it was windy, and the road relay course is known to be a long measure 5k - here we go again, excuses, excuses. I'm not trying to make excuses - honest. I can't hide the fact I ran it 27s faster last year can I? - now there's an idea - but I feel confident that on today's performance I could 5k at around 18:20 at the moment and that surprises me - in a good way.

Now the race. Pete S and Nick 'Speed Man' Todd got our 'B' team away to a good start in the race. I held my own on leg 3. In fact I gained at least one place and made time on the man ahead of him. I overtook a second man near the end but I wasn't sure if I was lapping him or catching. I suspect I was catching because as it was only leg 3 their team would have had to be going very slow and although I went past quickly he wasn't running that to badly. Anyway, Dave T took over from me and broke the 20 minute barrier for the first time in - shall we say a fair while? Graham C ran the glory leg - perhaps not that glorious but he had a good run and finished with both legs still attached.

The 'A' team took the title with another quick performance and the Vets, including a certain Mr J Hogan, took the OAP title.

It's been a good weekend and as long as everything goes to plan in Berlin - of which I have to say things are looking good - I'm going to try and put in some quality 5k training, ready for some quick races. Hopefully, I can capitalise on the marathon strength and add some devastating speed - well, maybe not devastating - but certainly a little pacier.

Thought for the day: Wrinkled Was Not One of the Things I Wanted to Be When I Grew up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment