Sunday, August 26, 2007

For the king, for the king

I ran like King James II today - rather than Duke of Monmouth. For the non-historians among us that's the two opposing sides of the Battle of Sedgemoor, 6th July 1685. King James II won but it wasn't a 10k race in those days - and the loser had his head chopped off. Now that's not to say I won because I most certainly did not - I'm just glad they've changed the rules on the head chopping off front - still have mine - I think!

I had a surprisingly bloody fine run considering yesterday's 15 mile tempo-ish run, followed by golf in the afternoon and then a meal at the local Chinese restaurant in the evening (and the dreaded booze) to celebrate my dad's 65th. I was feeling slightly 'delicate' this morning but fortunately Graham C was driving so I was OK on that count. We arrived with plenty of time to spare and managed to fit in all of a five minute warm up before the start. Graham, it has to be said, didn't have the greatest of runs this morning and as his school report would have said - there's room for improvement.

I set off steady, aiming for - well, I didn't really have a target. After a slowish start over the first 2k uphill I settled into a easy rhythm and basically worked my way through the field. I really wasn't racing today but it was a damn fine tempo run. For the last 8k I was banging out very consistent kilometres at around 3:57 give or take a few seconds. I was a bit cheeky to the other runners - for which I apologise - because I was passing the time of day with all the spectators and marshals. While they were all racing their socks off I was just pootling along. Anyway, the only exception to the even k's was the last one, where I took the handbrake off, and knocked out a 3:40 to creep just inside 40 minutes in 36th place. I have to say that I didn't think I would be that quick so I am fair delighted.

It wasn't that long ago that I couldn't get under 40. Now I can practically jog it. Today was a real confidence boost. I feel I'm back at the top of my game. I've a twinge of regret that I didn't take the race more seriously and miss the long run yesterday because I strongly believe a PB could have been on. In reality though, I know that the long run was more important. There will be loads more chances for the 10k but far fewer marathons.

It was nice to see Brett S running again - after injury sustained during the castles relay. I overtook him in the last couple of kilometres (had to say that - sorry). Hopefully he can continue steadily improving back to form.

Thought for the day: Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just the faithful few this morning; Heidi and Liam showed their loyalty by driving down from Nailsworth (and whilst they were here they called into the Mall), and ever present Sean. You missed out on some cake this morning in celebration of my birthday last Thursday - sorry I kept that quiet, but I'm now in the next vets category - yes V50!!!
R

Post a Comment