Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Warm turkey......

It's no good. I can't resist. I have to have a race on the calendar. I've picked out the Sugar Loaf Fell Race on Saturday the 28th April. Obviously I'll be running the Bridge Inn 5k on Tuesday the 24th but that's a permanent fixture in my diary these days so it doesn't really count as a race.

On to training at the zoo tonight. I hadn't done tonight's variation before - which I shall simple call, 'The two big and a half then two big then two shorter ones' variation - catchy, hey? I covered the first two reps, lap distance 1.95km (according to the gps), in 7:04 and 7:02 with 2:30 recovery. Then came the two big laps, 1.1km, both run in exactly 3:57 with 2:00 recovery.

At this point I walked away. I felt tired and I'd pushed hard. The session was not complete, however, there was a medium, 0.8km, and a short, 0.6km, with a 90s recovery, to go but I just called it a day and started to walk to the car. Now I haven't raced twenty one races this year with that attitude and I'll be damned if I'll let it slip now - not even in training. If I want to run faster and be stronger then I have to be mentally strong - not just mental. I turned round and came back, called upon my reserves and completed the last two. Running them in 2:50 and 2:10 respectively. I'm glad I did.

And finally, I made the Evening Post for my 17th place in the Chedworth Roman Trail - they must be hard up for news is all I can think!!!!

Thought for the day: When you're chewing on life's gristle. Don't grumble, give a whistle and this'll help things turn out for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment